AQUARELLEREN IS NET TOVEREN.
Informatie/information: mefta001@gmail.com

zondag 4 oktober 2009

13 Things NOT to Say to an Artist

De opmerking die ik heel vervelend vind (ik weet, dat iemand die dit zegt het goed bedoelt...., maar toch) is ""Wat lijkt me dat heerlijk, zo relaxed bezig zijn, helemaal geconcentreerd"", Ik denk:
Heerlijk? Het is ploeteren, zwaar werken, je hebt een idee in je hoofd en dat moet vorm krijgen in materie. Wanneer het niet gaat zoals je wilt is het vechten, het geeft een rot gevoel, een fysieke pijn. En dan aan het eind de teleurstelling, het willen verscheuren, de onvrede.......

Lukt het wel dan is het alsof je in een flow bent. Alsof iets onzichtbaars je leidt. Achteraf is het vaak: Heb ik dat gemaakt..............Dit proces voelt heerlijk. Inderdaad.

Onderstaande vond ik in
http://rgarriott.blogspot.com/
"I'm an artist", which is usually followed by "Oh, what kind of art?"
As visually oriented people, we often find talking about our work difficult. For obvious reasons, though, we need to find words for these moments. Most non-artists are genuinely fascinated by artistic types; they assume we possess some mystique and super powers (don't you wish??).
Here's some ideas to get you past that tough question:
The "Elevator Speech"
The art business card
The event or informative art card

First, the "Elevator Speech".
I first heard this term at an art marketing workshop. The idea was to think of yourself with a stranger in an elevator, and you have the time it takes to go between floors to explain your work. This means sifting through the self doubt, leaving out the extraneous words. (And by extraneous consider this: Did you ever have a kid in your junior high class, who when asked a question (say, "What is the symbolism of the whale in Moby Dick"), would mutter and stall for minutes at a time: "Um, well, I don't like really know, but I think maybe, y'know, it kinda, um, could mean, like, symbolistically, y'know, like DUUUDE!!! WHOAAA! Like an awesome wave or something maybe?" -- or maybe you WERE that kid...?)
What we're shooting for is a short, succinct statement that distills the essence of what you do. Personally I think 5-7 words should do it. At that point, you'll have either caught their interest enough that you can go further, or you'll see that they've heard enough, and were only asking to be polite. Think 5-7 words is too short? Try these:
Large-scale contemporary botanicals in oils
Hand loomed natural fiber tapestries
Portraiture in the tradition of the Old Masters
Miniature woodcut prints of exotic animals
Plein air seascapes of Coastal Maine
(or better yet just: "Seascapes of Coastal Maine"

"13 THINGS NOT TO SAY TO AN ARTIST"

My kid could do that.”

“I wish I could do that but I can’t draw a straight line.”

“I have a cousin/brother/great-aunt (pick one) who makes art”

“How long did it take you to make that?”

“That must really be fun to do.”

“I’d like to show some of my pictures in a gallery—by the way, what are slides, a résumé and portfolio.”

“I don’t know anything about art but I know what I like.”

“If it’s local it couldn’t be good...I buy all my art In New York.”

“I wish I had time to do that.”

“Did someone make that?”

“I’d like to buy some art, but as I look at my Rolex, I realize that I have to jump in my Jag, hop on my jet and fly to my home in the south of France. When I do buy, could I have it for half price since we’re cutting out the gallery?”

“I would like something to go over my couch. Could you do that in mauve, puce and teal?”

“It’s perfect, I love it! But I’ll have to talk to my decorator first.”

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LENTESCHILDERIJ

LENTESCHILDERIJ

WINTERSCHILDERIJ

WINTERSCHILDERIJ

BIRTHDAY

BIRTHDAY

BOEKENPROJECT

BOEKENPROJECT

Taartjes

Taartjes

Kat

Kat

Spring/Lente

Spring/Lente

Tea and cake

Tea and cake